Sunday, April 27, 2008

Some Things Even Blind Men Can See

My reading this morning was in Hebrews 4 and Psalm 63 so my lesson to myself for the day is to look for the Lord (be alert to what he does around me today) and then boldly pray for mercy and grace. When I jot down these lessons to myself every morning, I seldom know how they will be reinforced throughout the day - only that they will be. Today has been no exception. Treasure Blind played last night at its first festival - Barebones International Film Festival, Muskogee Oklahoma. A good crowd laughed at the right time, wiped away tears at appropriate moments, and applauded heartily at the end. For the first time in many months, I just sat in a dark room and watched my little movie - smiling. I still like it. After being criticised for nearly every element of the movie from music to wardrobe, from writing to acting, from lighting to camera moves, I still like it. It was so pleasant to just sit there and enjoy, and remember writing and rewriting, arranging the sets and locations, building the taxi, recruiting the actors, asking for money, finding the crew and getting them on the schedule, shooting, reshooting, looping, editing, shooting more, editing, editing, editing... man this was an enormous job! An impossible job. Simply miraculous that it ever got started, let alone finished. But there I was, sitting in the dark, watching it. Praise the Lord. I was also smiling because that morning, I had received my first offer for distribution from an honest to goodness reputable distributor. He said he watched it, and he liked it. After so many passes and no-thank-yous that I was feeling like a door to door evangelist with bad breath, I had a real offer. What a day! Thank you Lord. When the movie ended, many went out of their way to shake my hand, eyes still teary, and tell me those wonderful words: they liked it. Only the Lord could have done that. See him? Today, I traveled back to the world's friendliest film festival for a panel discussion of Best Actor nominees. Best actor? I didn't even acquire this habit until mid life. How can I be on this panel? Oh yeah, the Lord. See him again? But just before the panel convened, I got a call from a second distributor - an even bigger one. So many "good and perfect gifts" coming from his hand. I would be blind to not have seen him today - but then, in my default mode I am blind, right? Thanks Lord for reminding me to watch for you today. Thank you for your mercy and grace that cures my blindness. And thank you for the movie. I like it. I really like it.

1 comment:

jonnyflash said...

Hey, thanks for reading our blog. email me at supercandid @ gmail dot com about the item you mentioned in your comment.

Good luck on distribution! You're living the indie dream.