Monday, March 24, 2008

The Road,Hitting

I gotta tell you, one of the hardest parts of movie making is sending it out to "experts" all over the country and letting them tell you what they think. I'm truly not all that interested in what they think about Treasure Blind, but I do care about how they can market my movie, so it follows that what they think is important to the process. My experience divides the responses into three categories: those who would never say anything to discourage you in any way, those who want to punish you if they weren't swept away from the opening sequence, and then those few who are truly helpful. Thank God for category 3. One example of Category 1 was a famous pastor who was able to compose an entire page of 12 point Times New Roman font and say absolutely nothing quotable. It was amazing - truly an art form. It was a slough of such pap and mushy concepts as may, by itself, disprove the theory of evolution - nothing vital could ever be found in gooey soup. I understand I guess. He doesn't know me. As far as he knows, I could be arrested tomorrow for hanging around the playground too long, and if he's said something supportive of my art, he's going down with me. It's just prudence, but it makes lousy press kit fodder. On the other end of the spectrum, I got a terse email from a 30 something mom in California on an absolute rant. Seems she sat her two pre-teen daughters down to watch this unknown movie with unknown actors and found the writing awkward, the acting amatuerish, the scenes skit-like, and the pace agonizingly slow. After 20 minutes, she was so angry with for inflicting my movie on her and her girls that she decided to exact justice through a verbal flogging. The audience I should target is old people. (Politically awkward comment) But then she concluded her biting stings with, "I hope this is helpful." Yeah, thanks. So, you're saying I just wasted 150 grand on a geriatric skit. I'm so uplifted and encouraged! Thankfully however, there are a few viewers who possess both sanity and sensibility, and pass along some truly knowledgeable criticism mixed with just enough "atta boy" to keep me from throwing in the towel. Once again, thank God for Category 3. The road is still new, and there are many potential markets still ahead, but I'm gaining some road wisdom already. When you start the journey, be convinced of your product - be sure YOU like your movie. Then, whether your critics are blowing pretty bubbles as you pass, or pelting you with rocks, you will be able to steer a course straight down the center line, listening to those few helpful voices, and be well on your way to making better movies. See you on down the road, Jack.

No comments: